History

  • warning: Parameter 1 to theme_field() expected to be a reference, value given in /home3/phortay/public_html/includes/theme.inc on line 171.
  • warning: Parameter 1 to theme_field() expected to be a reference, value given in /home3/phortay/public_html/includes/theme.inc on line 171.
  • warning: Parameter 1 to theme_field() expected to be a reference, value given in /home3/phortay/public_html/includes/theme.inc on line 171.
  • warning: Parameter 2 to viewfield_field_settings() expected to be a reference, value given in /home3/phortay/public_html/includes/module.inc on line 386.
  • warning: Parameter 1 to theme_field() expected to be a reference, value given in /home3/phortay/public_html/includes/theme.inc on line 171.

1935 - The existence of Phor Tay High School that is known today originated from the effort of a Buddhist nun called Ven. Fung Lian. She came from the province of Xie Men in China to propagate Buddhism in Penang. Together with her followers, they set up the Phor Tay Institution to propagate Dahrma and train local Dharma preachers.

1940 - After the demise of Ven. Fang Lian in 1939, her followers continued her mission and also initiated secular education through free school. However, the school was forced to close down in the following year due to the Second World War.
1945 - The school was opened after the war and preparation was made to set up Phor Tay Primary School.

1947 - Mr. Aw Boon Haw donated the money for the construction of Phor Tay Institution that includes a shrine, a meditation centre and Phor Tay Primary School.

1949 - Phor Tay Primary School moved into its present building.

1950 - The primary school building was officiated by Mr. Aw Boon Haw (a philanthropist) on 20th April.

1951 - An opera association in Penang (Peng Hsia) initiated the collection of donations for the construction of Phor Tay High School.

1952 - Application was made to register the Phor Tay High School. Mr. Aw Boon Haw donated money to build six classrooms.

1953 - The board of governors of Phor Tay Institution decided to build a secondary school and so started a donation drive.

1954 - The government approved the registration of a high school. Phor Tay High School officially began operating. There were 5 classes, 200 pupils and 8 teachers. The first headmistress was Ong Dong Shu.

1957 - In May, the school building committee was formed. Mrs. Aw Boon Haw donated $70,000.00 to build a hall in commemoration of her late husband's contribution towards the school. Her kind act was proved to be an impetus to all members of the School Board of Directors, the Buddhist community leaders, the Buddhist Association of Malaya, Singapore and Hong Kong and others to work hard to hold performances to raise funds and collect donations. Their collective efforts raised funds amounting to $500,000.00.

1958 - Reverend Poh Ching Xi was appointed as the second headmistress of Phor Tay Secondary School.

1960 - Phor Tay High School's new building consisting 20 classrooms, 2 science labs, a hall, a canteen and a library was completed and ready for use.

1961 - On the 1st of March, Mrs. Aw Boon Haw officiated the opening ceremony of Phor Tay High School.

1962 - Phor Tay High School became Phor Tay National Type Secondary School. This classified it as a conforming school and therefore eligible to receive grants from the government.

1977 - Mr. Lim Gin Hai was appointed as the third headmaster of Phor Tay Secondary School.

1995 - Mr Yong Yue Fatt was appointed as principal on 16th February to 6 JAN 2004.

2004 - The present principal, Mr Mok Kam Fatt was appointed on 16th April.


1930-Ven Fung Lian came from Xie Men to propagate Buddhism in Penang.


1947 - Group photo of Phor Tay Institution.



1947 - Mr. Aw Boon Haw donated the money for the construction of Phor Tay Institution.



1959 - Building progress which taken on 1959